Joomla is a content management system (CMS) that allows users to easily post and maintain a wide variety of web content. It is used to power approximately two million websites – about 3% of the entire internet – and has become a close competitor of the world’s most popular web CMS, WordPress. Joomla was founded in 2005 as a fork of another CMS platform, Mambo, after a group of developers sought a deeper commitment to open source software, and Joomla’s team continues to uphold these values. Joomla’s website notes that it is the only significant CMS developed by entirely volunteers driven solely by a passion for the project.
Many webmasters and developers prefer Joomla for its abundance of powerful extensions, unique collaborative development, and deep commitment to the open source movement. Joomla is remarkably flexible, able to create a huge variety of websites with all sorts of features, especially when its extensions are deployed.
A Joomla development company can help if you’re interested in creating a great website with the platform but want some help understanding its features and navigating its thousands of extensions. Contact Weismann Web today to learn more about how Joomla can help your business, or to schedule a consultation.
Joomla Web Development to Drive Growth
Joomla and its extensions offer a plethora of features that can help businesses grow their customer base, manage their marketing and public relations campaigns, create internal systems for human resources or record keeping, and even set up a fully functional online shop. Some of these features include:
– Integrated databases. Joomla incorporates an SQL database, which can be used to store data about users, sales, or more, then referenced later when making management decisions.
– Easy user management. Joomla gives administrators an Access Control List, which lets them easily sort users into groups and accordingly manage their privileges on your platform. This is primarily for sites where users register and log in, but it’s also important for managing your sites with multiple administrators and contributors.
– Private portals. Though it’s most often used for publishing websites to the internet, Joomla just can just as easily create a private portal or intranet for your organization.
– Hassle-free updates. Joomla’s developers were careful to ensure that updates will never interfere with your existing design or require the site to go offline. Both the core package and extensions can be updated very easily, often with just one click, guaranteeing that you always have the latest features and security updates without any trouble.
– Accepts custom programs in PHP. If users are ever unhappy with Joomla’s available extensions, or they’re just in the mood for some programming, they’re free to write their own scripts or programs in PHP, and even sell them to other users as an extension if they’d like.
– Multilingual. Joomla is available in over 70 languages, and counting. Few, if any, CMS platforms offer so many language options.
– Menu management. Administrators can easily create menus to help visitors navigate their site. Joomla doesn’t place any limits on the number of menus you can have, the number of items in them, or the location of them on your site.
– Support for maps. It’s easy to embed Google Maps into your site. This is particularly useful for brick-and-mortar businesses and travel sites.
– Integrate comments sections. Joomla makes it easy to add a comments section to your site through its collaboration with Disqus. You can host product reviews, let users comment on your content, or even host an entire discussion forum.
– Unlimited web pages. Joomla places no limits on the number of web pages your site can hold, nor restrictions on the type of code they run. It’s easy to host thousands of blog posts, a wiki, or even highly involved client- or server-side scripting on a Joomla site. The only limitation to the size and type of your website is the capability of the server that hosts it.
– Easy transfer between servers. A customized Joomla installation is easy to transfer between servers because of its simple architecture based around a single configuration file. If your site needs to move to a more powerful server, copying the configuration file accomplishes most of the work.
– Monetize your site. Joomla makes it easy to earn money through your site by hosting banners or other ads, which you can either personally curate or have them automatically filled by a third-party service.
– Built-in messaging. If your site has multiple administrators, they’ll be able to send each other messages right on the platform, making it easy to keep track of changes and new content.
– Embed external news feeds. Webmasters have the option to embed content feeds from other sites right into theirs, allowing the site’s content to stay constantly fresh and keeping visitors engaged for more time.
– Thousands of extensions. Joomla offers a library of over 8,000 extensions, ranging from design templates to powerful e-commerce plugins. Many are free to use, though others are proprietary. These extensions make it easy to develop a powerful site for virtually any purpose.
To make sure that you’re getting the most out of your Joomla installation, it’s best to hire a Joomla web development company like Weismann Web that can help identify the best extensions for your site, securely configure your server, and set up your site’s interface exactly how you’d like.
Out of the Box SEO
Joomla is designed with search engine optimization (SEO) in mind, and the core package includes a number of tools to help users understand how search engines will rank their site. Webmasters will be able to see the frequency with which they use keywords in their headings and text, inspect their metadata for readability, understand the weight of URLs linking to their sites, and use a menu editor that helps to create clean sitemaps.
SEO continues to grow in importance, and at this point no business can afford to ignore it, regardless of what industry they’re in or what base of customers they’re serving. A Joomla development company like Weismann Web can help ensure that your business is making the greatest possible impact with SEO, and help you understand how to keep up with this critically important aspect of marketing.
Easy CMS Management with Joomla
(Joomla website development) Whatever sort of content your site hosts, Joomla makes it easy to post, edit, arrange, and delete it. There’s intuitive support for text and images, and many extensions are available that can support videos, music, and other embedded content. Administrators can edit their posts in a what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, allowing them to position the post’s text and images with no knowledge of coding, and then schedule when the content should be posted or expire. Joomla even allows administrators to edit their site while browsing it, which lets them see changes in real-time and experience the page through the eyes of their visitors.
As a volunteer-based project, Joomla has no dedicated customer service center, but there is still a great deal of help available if you should ever have questions about how to run your site. Every facet of the service is thoroughly documented and explained in illustrated tutorials, and there’s a very active forum where users help one another troubleshoot. The platform itself also includes a built-in help system, which can solve many problems without leaving your dashboard. Free video tutorials are also available to help new users learn the basics, or more advanced users learn features they may have overlooked. Users who identify bugs or other issues that defy a simple solution can submit a report to the service’s Issue Tracker, where it will receive attention from the development team.
Joomla is also at the center of a very enthusiastic community; its developers and webmasters discuss the platform on many different forums and blogs, and there are numerous local groups that meet regularly. Some of the most devoted users will travel to the platform’s two annual conferences, Joomla and Beyond and the Joomla World Conference. This high level of collaboration makes it easy to keep abreast of the newest developments, and the widespread passion for Joomla website development attests to the platform’s uniquely powerful capabilities.
Joomla can help you build and maintain a high-quality website for any purpose; it’s ideal for businesses, creative works, nonprofit organizations, and more. The service can quickly scale up to meet your site’s needs, and unlike many of its competitors, Joomla’s core software will always remain free to use regardless of how much traffic your site receives.
Despite its power, Joomla is very easy to use, and it’s well-suited for both first-time and highly experienced webmasters alike. However, it’s important to ensure that your site is set up correctly, and to know that you’re getting the most out of the service you might be using for hours each day. That’s why it’s important to hire an experienced Joomla development company to help configure your new site or oversee any significant changes. Contact Weismann Web today to learn about what Joomla can do for your online presence, or to schedule a consultation.